My fiancé and I went InterRailing for a month recently and came across this delicious, spicy soup all over Europe, including Prague, Krakow and Vienna. It’s a meal in itself, really filling and warming. And, it’s a doddle to make. Make a batch and freeze it in portions for a quick and easy fast day meal.
Goulash soup – 115 calories
Ingredients (serves 4)
- 1o0g extra lean pork mince: 178 calories
- 1 large onion, finely chopped: 63 calories
- 1 stick celery, finely chopped: 6 calories
- 1 carrot, finely chopped: 25 calories
- 1/2 red pepper, chopped: 13 calories
- 1/2 green pepper, chopped: 13 calories
- 1 tbsp smoked Spanish paprika: 20 calories
- 1 tsp caraway seeds: 7 calories
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper: 6 calories
- 1 tin chopped tomatoes: 88 calories
- 1 vegetable stock cube, dissolved in 750ml water: 35 calories
- 1 tbsp fresh parsley: 4 calories
- Fry the mince in a heavy-bottomed, lidded pan for around five minutes, stirring often.
- Add the onion, peppers, carrots and celery and fry for another five minutes or so, or until veg is softened.
- Add the paprika, cayenne and caraway seeds and stir, cooking for a couple of minutes before adding the tomatoes and vegetable stock.
- Simmer for around twenty minutes with the lid on, stirring every now and then.
- If it’s too thick for your taste, just add some more water. If it’s too thin, simmer for a little longer.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- When it’s ready to serve, top with the freshly chopped parsley. A dollop of natural yoghurt, creme fraiche or sour cream is also nice but don’t forget to add the calories for that!